Saturday, May 5, 2012

My Man MCA has a Beard Like A Billy-Goat


The sound of “Paul's Boutique” is one of the most fascinating hip-hop albums to come out of the late 80's. '89 to be exact. For my money it ranks up there with genre changing albums like “Straight Outta Compton” and “It Takes a Nation of Millions.” Obviously these three albums come from very different circumstances, people, and areas. Well, both “Paul's Boutique” and “Straight Outta Compton” hail from California.

I know; the Beasties are from New York, but they hooked up with the Dust Brothers in LA. Where they wrote and recorded it.

There is something different going on in the album. It is the precursor to all the sampling you hear in music today. It doesn't matter if it is the Verve with “Bitter Sweet Symphony” or Moby with “Natural Blue's.” It seems to really come from “Paul's Boutique.” Innovated in the use of samples; pulling in elements from music as diverse as punk, funk, jazz, The Beatles, and more that I am forgetting. I am sure that I will want to admin this later when I go in and dig through the songs again.

It is no secret that “Paul's Boutique” is my favorite album in The Beastie Boys catalog. It is an album you can listen to over and over again. Hearing something different in it each time you listen. It is as exciting and fresh as it was back in '89.

I come back to this album because like many because we recently learned that MCA passed away.

To many people of my generation, it seems like we grew up with them. Hearing “License to Ill” while in grade school, “Ill Communication” in high school, and “Hello Nasty” while in college. The music ended up being a part of the soundtrack for us growing up. Even if you weren't an active listener, you know who the Beasties are and ten to one you probably danced to a few of their tracks at house parties, keggers, and out at the club. Unless you are like me and can't dance to save your life, then you just played the wall bobbing your head to groove coming from the DJ's sound system.

I never knew the man, I won't even pretend that I did. I know that he along with Mike D and Ad-Rock put out some great music that made it alright for white boys like myself to get into hip-hop. Get our feet wet and ready to explore another side of music that might have never been available in a small midwest town where the nearest record store was roughly 30 minutes away.

Fast forward to this very moment where I am spinning some of the 12 inches on the turntable, the same vinyl that I have taken out to DJ. Listening to remixes, extended cuts, and a few fun things for the fans. Just like me typing this, it is some way to pay tribute to a man that has given all of us some of the coolest music. Music that, even if the hardcore hip-hop guys don't want to admit, has pushed the art form to another level (and possibly being the antithesis for the advent of rap-rock... Do we really want to admit to that.)

I made a statement about a month ago saying that I was very fortunate to have seen A Tribe Called Quest open up for The Beastie Boys. I can now add on to the fact that my fortune is amplified that I was able to see The Beastie Boys kicking it on stage.

The side of the record is over, I think that I am going to just let is spin for a bit. A moment of silence, if you will.

No comments:

Post a Comment